PAST | PRESENT | FUTURE
The Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church was organized in the latter half of the eighteen hundreds. The Church’s title to the property at its present location dates back to April 21, 1869, at which time the present Indian Creek Church was known as the African Baptist Church. Reverend Ned Coleman, who was also known as Reverend Ned Clay, was the founder and first pastor of the Indian Creek Church.
After the pastorate of Reverend Clay came the service of Reverend J. Kempfield. During Kempfield’s administration, the church separated from the Indian Creek Association and joined the Mallard Creek Association, of which it continues to be a member today. Reverend Kempfield was known to have baptized fifty-three candidates in one day.
Reverend Ned Patrick, the third pastor of Indian Creek served well and added many souls to the church. During his pastorate, a new roof and a new ceiling were added to the church.
In 1937, the Reverend Sonnie Hereford became the fourth pastor of Indian Creek P.B. Church. The church observed growth, both spiritually and physically. His ability to organize and conduct church activities drew great attention. Reverend Hereford put weather boarding around the church, dug a well, built a pastor’s living quarters and also laid a church cornerstone.
After the passing of Reverend Hereford, the church’s stewardship came into the hands of it’s fifth pastor, Reverend James Townsend.
In 1952, the church was destroyed by lightning with nothing saved except the piano. Under Reverend Townsend’s manful leadership, a new church was completed in less than two years. In 1971, plans were made to build a new church with an “A-shaped roof”.
Within two years a new church, complete with a balcony, five service rooms, four bathrooms and a baptistery was finished. In 1982, as the membership and church activities grew, an annex was added to the church. Prior to 1984 worship service was held twice a month. During 1984, the church membership decided to have worship service every Sunday.
By the guidance of the almighty God the church called Reverend Michael Hartwell to serve as her sixth pastor on August 14, 1985. Under Elder Hartwell’s pastorate, the church grew spiritually and physically. Elder Hartwell focused on Prayer Service, established Bible Classes for all ages, Homebound Ministry, Limestone Prison Ministry, Tape Ministry, Matrons and Brotherhood organizations, Food Source Program, Children’s Church for ages 6-11, Trustee Board, Finance Committee, and became involved in various outreach ministries to the Indian Creek Church family and community. A Church van was purchased, a Seniors Day Center operated, and a Fun/Fitness and Praise group (Aerobics) activity began. Elder Hartwell served dutifully and faithfully as pastor for ten years (October 1985—September 1995).
In the early 1990’s, the Church purchased 5 acres of land along Indian Creek Road called the “Newby Property.” Other property would later be added on which the new Church now sits.
By the faithfulness of God, on April 5, 1996, the church elected Elder Timothy M. Rainey to serve as its seventh pastor. Under his guidance, a church mission statement and motto have been developed by the membership and the church is continuing to witness growth. Since his election, an Evangelistic Ministry, Partners in Prayer Ministry, a New Member’s Class, a New Members Ministry, an After-School Program, a Summer Enrichment Program for ages 5-12, a Singles Ministry, a College Ministry, Cub and Boy Scout Units and a Physical Fitness Ministry have been organized. The former structure received a $40,000 face lift, two vans have been purchased and more than 7 acres of land have been acquired. On January 1, 1998, Elder Rainey became the church’s first full-time pastor.
A part-time secretary was added in 2001, eight After-School caretakers have been employed and a Minister of Music was hired.
A building committee was established to lead the God-given vision to build a new edifice. On April 3, 2005, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for phase one of the new facility and in November 2007, the first phase of the vision was completed.